Cheap Like Your Mom

Eclectic. I think that pretty much describes it. Yep. Eclectic.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Inspiration

Someone on Livejournal just posted this link. It is the video for Johnny Cash's "Hurt." It is a large part of why I picked the guitar back up. It is a beautiful song, a cover of Nine Inch Nails. The video is... touching. I am pretty sure I cried the first time I saw it. Maybe it just has a special meaning to me, because while NIN's version was really about a drug addiction, Cash's comes off more about maintaining who you are, not getting lost in the fame and the money. I think that selling out is one of my biggest fears in becoming a lawyer. I mean, you come out with a hundred grand in debt, it's like it's set up so you don't have any other choice. Anyway, the video is magnificent, it's shot at his actual home, with no makeup, and he made sure that they didn't cut out his shaking hands. It's honest, and heartfelt; it's a legend warning us not to make his mistakes. He and his wife are both gone now, I really think he was saying goodbye with this video, writing his own eulogy. Every song on his last album was in some way about death, and it ends with "We'll Meet Again."

Back to Immigration Law.

2 Comments:

At 11/29/2005 12:20 PM, Blogger Janelle said...

You're quite right, that is a very touching video.

Have you seen the movie "Walk the Line" yet?

 
At 11/29/2005 12:39 PM, Blogger Philawsopher said...

No, but Erin and I definitely want to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home