Cheap Like Your Mom

Eclectic. I think that pretty much describes it. Yep. Eclectic.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Music as an Art (Ramble-licious)

I am realizing things. Firstly Post Secret is an incredible site. Secondly, the other day, I was talking to a friend and they helped me realize that while my musical tastes had been expanding in one direction, across genres, it was contracting in another, subject matter. Most of the music I listen to currently is music that explicitly calls for social or political change, from Rage Against the Machine to Wyclef Jean to Johnny Cash. This tends to discount other positive attributes of music. Firstly, she recomended a song about the artist's boyfriend committing suicide. It sounded like a very interesting, affective song, even though it doesn't fall into what I would usually listen to. Also, sheer skill. Originally I liked Guns n' Roses in large part because Slash is an absolutely incredible guitarist, but I haven't really listened to my Gn'R albums lately. Essentially, I realized that there are several different characteristics of music which traverse genre, and that not being dismissive of entire genres does not alone show open mindedness to all forms of music as an art. I think that trying to open myself to different subject matters of music may also have the benefit of allowing me to think and write in different ways, helping me find more things to write about, while at the same time increasing my musical versatility. Additionally, I have found that my attitude towards music is different from my attitude toward poetry. When I wrote poetry I was (at least initially) very reluctant to show anybody my writings, I was terribly afraid that they would be found wanting. However, with music, I am excited and eager to share, though there is of course the slight nervous anticipation of hearing what others think. I am unsure why this difference is, except perhaps, that while I know several people who write poetry, there is no one to compare music to, at least in my immediate circles of friends. This, I think, alleviates some pressure, since I think that in a room full of guitarists, I would feel self conscious about my music as well. Anyway, I hope that I can get going on some music again, I have a lot of ideas, many of which just need some form. It'll be all good. Peace out, and word to your mothers.

2 Comments:

At 2/23/2006 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea! I cameo-ed in someone's blog. I feel special. Truly. I've been compiling the CD tracks I want to send to you in my head. I promise it's on my weekend to do list. That's interesting that you had the revelation about being interested in social music. You know 90% of my poetry is about retelling stories? I write fable poems, and myth poems and Bible poems. It's strange, but if it's not about re-imagining and breathing new life into old stories, it's usually about love/sex/the body. I challenge myself to write something new this week. And if you come across some cool poems, feel free to email them to me. I love a ridiculously full inbox, especially from my friends. Oh, and I have a poem called "The Musician's Wife". I'll try and enter the link with my sign in. Hope it works.

Queen of blab,
Traci

 
At 2/23/2006 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Success! Click on my name in my earlier post.

I rule, you rock, word.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home