Cheap Like Your Mom

Eclectic. I think that pretty much describes it. Yep. Eclectic.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Possibilities

My professor for Women and the Law just walked by and stopped to ask me if I thought that we were going too slowly in the class. It was odd, I guess because generally, the student does everything in their power to make the teacher think that they are a good student, but this seems to exemplify that teachers care about the students' perceptions of them as well. Just a random thought.
Anyway, have you ever noticed yourself putting off writing because you have nothing to say, only to find when you do finally begin to write, that you have so much to write that it is all trying to get out of your brain and causes a traffic jam? I am thinking about applying for an externship this summer. This would mean that I would be able to, essentially, find a job anywhere in the state, theoretically Lakeland, work there for the summer, and get school credit hours for doing so. This would be excellent, since I had been wondering how I was going to be able to take classes over the summer so as to graduate early, and at the same time get work experience that will help me get a job when I graduate early. Also, I would be able to be with Erin all summer (Word). There are still some wrinkles, for instance, there are several varieties of externships and many of them have prerequisite classes that I did not know about and thus did not take. I would want to take a week off in the summer for the wedding/honeymoon, and I don't know if that would be allowed. I tried to go talk to the externships office today about some of these and was unable to, because the half hour that I allotted before class started today was insufficient since they were discussing the program with someone else, and there was only one administrator there. I'm just going to go ahead and come early tomorrow as well, and if need be, stay after class, since I get out at 2:30 and have nothing else to do all day, except to drive to Tampa.
Additionally, the MPA (Music Publisher's Association, an organization of publishers of sheet music) has started issuing cease and desist letters to the operators of websites that provide lyrics and/or tablature to songs. They have even gone so far as to suggest/threaten jail time for those who run these sites. I was baffled to find that, in fact, jail time is one of the available remedies for copyright infringement. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. I am not hereby giving any legal advice. I am merely expressing an opinion. Anyway, I don't understand what claims they can have to other people's interpretations of works, that are incomplete (tabs do not include any form of rhythm, time signature, key signature, etc.) It's like suing someone for publishing your cake recipe when they wrote on their site that "you add some eggs and sugar and some other stuff and then bake it." That's not the complete recipe. But, honestly I don't know whether that matters, my Intellectual Property class just started copyrights today, so I don't know much about it yet. I will however be sure to let you all know what I do find out. Peace out, and word to your mothers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home